Job Reference: COR 01
Senior Engineering Administrators play a critical delivery role in Company Product Engineering - focusing on, but not limited to, various infrastructure components including MySQL and Apache. They are primarily responsible for creating and maintaining a reference Developer environment and a reference Production environment as well as environments for other portions of Engineering such as QA, Performance, and Demo – all based on Cloud technology and standard hardware. These experienced individual contributors provide guidance to engineers for system administration and environment configuration and can lead small teams and work streams. They are expected to provide estimates for their own work (and a small team’s work) to the Team Lead to whom they report. Senior Engineering Administrators provide high quality deliverables while developing both their technical skills and their soft skills.
Technical Knowledge & Skills:
• Strong knowledge of system administration and software and hardware configuration - in cloud environment like Amazon Web Services & Rackspace; ability to make informed recommendations to Product Architects and Product Managers; ability to troubleshoot pre and post-production implementations; security; load balancing and performance;
• Strong experience with rigorous software build & release process;
• Strong experience with databases and data modeling/ design techniques; data interface protocols; database software installation; database tuning - primary focus on MySQL;
• 1 - 4 years of application design & development experience;
• Knowledge of MVC architecture (Zend, Symfony, etc.);
• Experience in implementing Open Source packages (e.g. Magento, Drupal, etc.);
• Ability to speak and write fluently in English.
• Facilitate user requirements sessions, design technical specifications for assigned modules, write documentation;
• Suggest innovative solutions to business problems/ processes that leverage technology to provide marketing differentiation, efficiency improvements, and better user experience;
• Write documentation for requirements analysis, design specifications, user’s guides, installation guides, custom training materials, or project work plan;
• Prior experience in facilitating stakeholders through decision-making processes;
• Experience using professional concepts to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways;
• Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Good verbal and written communications skills; good presentation and facilitation skills;
• A strong desire to create outstanding deliverables for our Product Engineering group;
• Flexibility is the key. Must be open to adapting your experience to Company Engineering efforts;
• Interest in collaborating across the Company to share knowledge and learn from others; participate in and lead internal training, workshops on technical topics; express an overall desire to contribute to the methodology and technical depth of the Company;
• Interest in collaborating outside Company to share knowledge and learn from others; participate in technical discussions via blogs and forums; work with other OS developers and users to resolve technical issues; start to become a known “voice” in the OS community;
• Willing and able to guide/ teach/ mentor technical developers; create knowledge-sharing professional development opportunities for development staff;
• Problem solving, teamwork, transparent communications, self-directed management style and quest for constant learning are the key behaviors that drive success at Company. Must have developed skill and bias towards action in all of the above.